The Indian Air Force is the organisation which made the most significant post-war
use of the B-24 Liberator. In 1948, 40 airframes have been patched up from the 100 derelict airframes present at
the scrap yard at Chakeri airfield, Kanpur, enabling them to undertake a ferry flight to Bangalore, where HAL
refurbished them to pristine service condition.
5 Squadron was the first to be equipped with half a dozen bombers in November 1948 before receiving its full
complement of 16 bombers. They were only replaced in 1957 when 5 Sqn was re-equipped with Canberra jet bombers.
6 Squadron was the second to be equipped with a full complement of 16 bombers early in 1951. The role
assumed by 6 Sqn was martime reconnaissance and anti-submarine warfare, with an ASV-15 retractable radar installed where
the belly "ball" turret use to be. Typical weapons for these aircraft were depth charges and
sonobuoys. 6 Sqn Liberators participated both in the 1961 takeover of the Goa Portuguese colony (dropping
surrender leaflets and performing maritime reocnnaissance), and in the 1965 Indo-Pakistan war (maritime patrols) before
being retired in 1968.
16 Squadron was established late in 1951 as a traning squadron with two or three aircrafts only.
102 Survey Flight operated the pair of C-87 Liberator Express which were part of the salvaged
airframes. These were operated for photo-mapping purposes.
Serial numbers for the 42 IAF B-24 Liberators, were as follows